2018 is turning out to be quite destructive to many families out there with this awful flu epidemic.
I am determined to keep that flu away, far, far away!!! Here are some tips to help you too.
No Flu Zone Tips
- Tell friends and family to stay away if they are sick. I don’t care if you have to wait to see your grandkids or parents, it is way better than catching their sickness. If more people would just stay home while they are feeling crappy, less folks would get sick.
- DO NOT share food or drinks!!!!!
- Wash your hands, change the bathroom hand towel more frequently or use disposible towels for a couple months, wear gloves if you have to help an ill person.
- Make a giant batch of elderberry syrup, recipe HERE and take it every single day and make your family do the same, even if you must “hide” it. 😀 You can purchase dried elderberries at my favorite supplier, Bulk Herb Store
- Take a daily dose of vitamin C in pill form, drinking OJ or a lovely cup of Pine Needle Tea – recipe below. Pine has 5 TIMES the vitamin C that orange juice has!!
- IF you feel the crud coming on, you can take mega doses of vitamin C – hourly doses of 1000 mg of Vitamin C for the first 6 hours and then 3 times daily thereafter. Read more on this.
- Drink Immune Tea daily, you can make your own or purchase some tea bags like Yogi Echinacea Immune I find this tea is available at most large grocery or whole foods stores.
- Eat warming, nourishing foods daily: Homemade Chicken or Mushroom Soup, Oatmeal, Vegetable Stews, Curried Dishes with lots of turmeric, hot decaffeinated beverages.
- REST – whether sick or not. The fastest way to come down with a cold is not taking the time to rest daily and S-L-O-W down.
- Take immune supporting herbs and probiotics: Stinging Nettle, Ginger, Elderberry, Oatstraw, Echinacea, Sweet Gum(Nature’s Tamiflu)
- Medicinal Mushrooms in everything!!! I add shiitakes, turkey tails and reishi to my soup stocks and to some drinks. My favorite mushroom drink company is Four Sigmatic, they make it very easy to take your daily dose of shrooms!! Try the Reishi Hot Cacao – one of my absolute favorite drinks for the evening!
Recipe for Pine Needle Tea
Easy peasy recipe! Go outside and pick a small handful of young fresh pine needles. Bring some water to a boil. Chop up about 1-2 teaspoons of the pine needles and pour 8 ounces boiling water over. Cover and steep 5-10 minutes. Sweeten to drink. If steeped longer it becomes much stronger, use that if needed to cough.
You want to use southern yellow pine(shortleaf, longleaf), eastern white pine not Loblolly or Ponderosa. Check your areas species first. But if in the South those pines in your backyard are fine, check the needles and they should be in clusters of 2-3 in each grouping. Here is a good photo:
Eat Your Yard Folks!
Let me know what YOU do to keep yourself healthy! I LOVE comments!!!
Peace out peeps –