“Out of clutter, find simplicity.” ~Albert Einstein
There is always an easier way to do things. What is the easiest way to declutter a house? You can ask five different people and probably get five different answers.
This is the method I personally find to be helpful and easy because it has a plan, a focus and a solution.
1. Go get a laundry basket – walk around the house and collect things that don’t belong in the room where you found them. Return them to the proper place. Try not to back track. There you just straightened up the house. Ahh…breathe a sigh of relief.
2. Now take that laundry basket and collect things from each room that you can do without.
3. Go to another room or the garage or outside with that basket and make three piles: one pile – to sell, one pile – to donate and one pile – to trash oh and you probably need a fourth pile – the “maybe I will keep this” pile.
4. Next get some boxes, write with a sharpie for each box the above labels.
5. Spend a couple of days doing this at your leisure. By the end of that time you will have full boxes and need more.
6. Get with friends for a yard sale, sell on facebook, ebay or craigslist.
7. Take the trash pile directly to the trash and take the giveaways to your donation place – Don’t wait til after the yard sale unless you are bringing those items to a friends house to let her look through otherwise it will pile up and may never go away.
8. Do all of this within the next two – three weeks.
Here is a web site from the original challenge for you to go check out. It is by Courtney Carver of Be More With Less
I like getting rid of excess stuff, it makes me feel liberating and the house looks better plus sometimes I make money from it or sometimes it just goes to the Fish as a donation. Everyone wins!
My next batch of get rid of 1000 things –
9 pieces of clothing
7 random items – how many calculators and travel cups does one need??? 1 from Mc D’s a place I haven’t been in over TWO years!
20-25 books – cooking and horses
4 pairs of boots – one of them Skecher’s that I just HAD to have, wore them twice and had them since 2010 – hahahaha!
45 Items for today – still lots more to get to 1000!
Enjoy the day, people –