How does that song go? “Put the lime in the coconut, and drink it all up”. Remember that song by the Baha Men? 🙂 Sometimes I think about something and can’t get it out of my head!!!
I was looking around at different coconut recipes, because I have recently jumped on the coconut oil bandwagon, and thought I would write about some of my favorite recipes as well as some new ones that I am dying to try! So then I started singing that song and then read the whole lyrics – a bit weird but then again the cure for what ailed him was the coconut!!! Read them here if you’d like.
Quick Coconut Facts –
Tree of Life! coconuts are called a “functional” food because beyond its amazing nutritional benefits, it had super health benefits. In traditional medicine, it has been used for the following: abscesses, asthma, baldness, bronchitis, bruises, burns, colds, constipation, cough, dropsy, dysentery, earache, fever, flu, gingivitis, gonorrhea, irregular or painful menstruation, jaundice, kidney stones, lice, malnutrition, nausea, rash, scabies, scurvy, skin infections, sore throat, swelling, syphilis, toothache, tuberculosis, tumors, typhoid, ulcers, upset stomach, weakness, and wounds.
In Modern Medicine –
- Kills viruses that cause influenza, herpes, measles, hepatitis C, SARS, AIDS, and other illnesses.
- Kills bacteria that cause ulcers, throat infections, urinary tract infections, gum disease and cavities, pneumonia, and gonorrhea, and other diseases.
- Kills fungi and yeasts that cause candidiasis, ringworm, athlete’s foot, thrush, diaper rash, and other infections.
- Expels or kills tapeworms, lice, giardia, and other parasites.
- Provides a nutritional source of quick energy.
- Boosts energy and endurance, enhancing physical and athletic performance.
- Improves digestion and absorption of other nutrients including vitamins, minerals, and amino acids.
- Improves insulin secretion and utilization of blood glucose.
- Relieves stress on pancreas and enzyme systems of the body.
- Reduces symptoms associated with pancreatitis.
- Helps relieve symptoms and reduce health risks associated with diabetes.
- Reduces problems associated with malabsorption syndrome and cystic fibrosis.
- Improves calcium and magnesium absorption and supports the development of strong bones and teeth.
- Helps protect against osteoporosis.
- Helps relieve symptoms associated with gallbladder disease.
- Relieves symptoms associated with Crohn’s disease, ulcerative colitis, and stomach ulcers.
- Improves digestion and bowel function.
- Relieves pain and irritation caused by hemorrhoids.
- Reduces inflammation.
- Supports tissue healing and repair.
- Supports and aids immune system function.
- Helps protect the body from breast, colon, and other cancers.
- Is heart healthy; improves cholesterol ratio reducing risk of heart disease.
- Protects arteries from injury that causes atherosclerosis and thus protects against heart disease.
- Helps prevent periodontal disease and tooth decay.
- Functions as a protective antioxidant.
- Helps to protect the body from harmful free radicals that promote premature aging and degenerative disease.
- Does not deplete the body’s antioxidant reserves like other oils do.
- Improves utilization of essential fatty acids and protects them from oxidation.
- Helps relieve symptoms associated with chronic fatigue syndrome.
- Relieves symptoms associated with benign prostatic hyperplasia (prostate enlargement).
- Reduces epileptic seizures.
- Helps protect against kidney disease and bladder infections.
- Dissolves kidney stones.
- Helps prevent liver disease.
- Is lower in calories than all other fats.
- Supports thyroid function.
- Promotes loss of excess weight by increasing metabolic rate.
- Is utilized by the body to produce energy in preference to being stored as body fat like other dietary fats.
- Helps prevent obesity and overweight problems.
- Applied topically helps to form a chemical barrier on the skin to ward of infection.
- Reduces symptoms associated the psoriasis, eczema, and dermatitis.
- Supports the natural chemical balance of the skin.
- Softens skin and helps relieve dryness and flaking.
- Prevents wrinkles, sagging skin, and age spots.
- Promotes healthy looking hair and complexion.
- Provides protection from damaging effects of ultraviolet radiation from the sun.
- Helps control dandruff.
- Does not form harmful by-products when heated to normal cooking temperature like other vegetable oils do.
- Has no harmful or discomforting side effects.
- Is completely non-toxic to humans.
See Research to read some of the published studies regarding the above mentioned uses of coconut products. http://www.coconutresearchcenter.org/
That is quite a list! It seems that 1-2 Tablespoons a day will be beneficial.
Back to my coconut recipes. Earlier this week I posted the scrumptious Brown Sugar Vanilla Scrub with coconutty, sugary goodness! Then yesterday I made a Coconut Oil Moisturizer that was so incredibly easy, it took like 10 minutes.
Coconut Oil Moisturizer
1/4 cup coconut oil
1 1/2 tsp. beeswax
4-5 drops lavender essential oil
Melt the oil and beeswax in a glass jar in a pan of water. Remove when melted, add your essential oil(I like lavender for the scent and the calming effect, ideally calming redness) Stir and pour into a small jar, allow to harden and cover. Makes about 2.5 ounces.
It feels so nice on the skin, not too greasy and such a lovely scent.
The recipe can be doubles or tripled but I wanted to try a small amount first to see if I liked it and I LOVE it!
Now for the foodies!
Two recipes that I just found from The Coconut Mama
Holy Crap! I have to make these and eat ALL of them – dipped in chocolate of course. 😀
Don’t forget to put the lime in the coconut – pina colada anyone? Doesn’t have to have the rum, just add to a blender – 3 oz low fat coconut milk
3 oz pineapple juice
a couple chunks of fresh pineapple
some ice cubes and if you want the adult version – 1 oz of rum! 🙂
Blend and enjoy with a couple slices of lime.
Do any of you readers have some healthy coconut recipes to share?
Shared on Wildcrafting Wednesday!
Have a beautiful day today!