What did you think when you saw the title? Sumac Berries…..hmmmm…. aren’t they poisonous, like poison sumac????

Well that is what I thought up until a couple years ago. Edible sumac red berries are from the Sumac bush(Rhus spp.) whereas Poison Sumac(Toxicodendron vernix) has white berries. NEVER eat them!!! Around this time the Staghorn or Smooth Sumac bush has whitish berries that turn deep, deep red almost velvetly red. The berry clusters appear like flames from the green bushes, just beautiful! Some varieties are ready to harvest now and others during August and September.

The berries aren’t exactly tasty raw, quite tart and more seed than fruit but they make a truly amazing and delicious drink, called Sumac-ade. Not only are they edible, sumac berries are medicinal. Sumac is astringent and cooling. Here is an excerpt from Mother Earth Living that I found interesting –

Sumac leaves and berries are classified as astringent and cooling. Certain Native American and Canadian Indian tribes used sumac to treat bladder, digestive, reproductive, and respiratory ailments; infections; injuries; stomachaches; arrow wounds; and more. The Chippewa Indians of North America made a decoction of sumac flowers to treat gas, indigestion, and other digestive upsets. The Iroquois used sumac as a laxative, diuretic, expectorant, liver aid, and in countless other applications. The powdered bark and dried berries were allegedly combined with tobacco and smoked during peace pipe ceremonies. The inner bark was also used to treat hemorrhoids.

Early pioneers used the berries to reduce fevers, and they steeped and strained the berries and thickened the mixture with honey to yield a soothing cough syrup. Some transformed the berries into wine. Others used the root to produce an emetic tea (to induce vomiting), the bark to make dye, and the leaves to relieve symptoms of asthma.

Sumac berries contain malic acid, which possess antifungal properties and putative anti-fibromyalgic activity; tannic acid, which is present in tea and wine and is known for its astringent activity; and gallic acid, a white crystalline compound used in dyes, in photography, and in ink and paper manufacture.

Cool stuff huh?

In addition, middle eastern folks use the dried berries in a seasoning called Zatar which is usually mixed with yogurt or cream cheese.

Want to know how I made Sumac-ade? Here ya go! Oh and of course I am going to try Sumac Jelly this week!!!

SUMAC-ADE RECIPE

3 Quart – 1 Gallon wide mouth container

2-3 Sumac Drupes(the cluster you cut off the bush) See Pic

water

1- 1 1/2 cups sugar(I am sure honey can be subbed in)

3 sumac drupes, I used two in the jar
3 sumac drupes, I used two in the jar

Cut or break of the smaller sections off the big stem and put into your jar. Don’t work about removing each individual berries cause it would take forever and your hands would be red. 😀

bartering and sumac ade 015 (1024x768)

Fill with cold water about 3/4th full. Put outside in the sun for around 4 hours OR set it inside overnight. You will see it turn a pretty golden color.

bartering and sumac ade 016 (1024x768)

Using a piece of cheesecloth or a very fine strainer, strain the liquid into another container. I squeeze the berries a bit while straining. Now warm up 1-2 cups water in a measuring cup or bowl, add the sugar depending on how sweet you want your drink and add that sweetened water to your Sumac-ade. Chill and drink up for good health and good taste!!!

Enjoy,

Anne-Marie
Wildcrafting Wednesday  homesteadershop3http://www.modernhomesteaders.net/the-homesteaders-blog-hop-3/

You May Also Like

10 comments

I’ve never heard of making sumac into a tea, I use it in my cooking (Lebanese Food). I’ll have to try this 🙂

Great! Can you tell me how you use it in your cooking? I haven’t tried it yet as a spice. Any good recipes? 🙂

Sure. I sprinkle it over salads, it gives it that nice lemony flavor.
Another way I use it is when I have made chicken stock and need to use up the meat. I saute an onion in butter and when they are limp and turning golden, I add about 2 cups of shredded chicken (already cooked) and 1 Tbs, sumac.
This can be eaten over rice, quinoa, or whatever you like. I also sometimes make a pita wrap and then toast it in the oven…so good!

Thank you for sharing!!!

Thank you for sharing this recipe…..pointing out the difference in the good sumac and the poisonous one.

You are very welcome!! I just made a jelly from the sumac berries too. If it sets up well, I will post the recipe. 🙂

Awesome can’t wait to try it.

🙂 Enjoy!

Like!! I blog frequently and I really thank you for your content. The article has truly peaked my interest.

Finding Your Future Partner Via Free these dating sites

for everybody who is single, Bored and looking for a partner or someone to spend an afternoon with or simply someone whom you can talk to, you really should try the services offered in free [url=https://www.bitchute.com/video/uzp6GYN81a15/]charmdate review[/url] dating sites.

allow me to explain know about what are free dating sites and what they offer; Online dating as the name suggests is a dating system where people can communicate with each other through the internet. in general, The objective of each person joining these dating websites is to develop a loving relationship. to get you started, You need to register with the website first and you may require to provide details during registration. require are basic information like your age, Gender and site etc. One of the particular and important feature is search functionality, Which helps get matching partner in one click. Also classy allow uploading of photos; Hence it becomes readily available your mate with photo search. Some websites even offer additional services such as online chat, cell phone chat via VOIP, Webcasts and message boards. Most of these services are being offered for free but some require a monthly membership.

Though most of the free dating sites are broad in nature; Members are from different backgrounds and open for different kinds relationships, you will discover websites catering for specific service or specific community. it usually is based on similar interests, website, Type of members or relationship desired.

Before blending them, Make sure that you know what your requirements are. for example, If you are looking for casual relationship, may possibly not make a sense to join a site dedicated for marriage and so on. always, If you are joining paid online dating services, You should know how much you are willing to pay to avail of their services. Even in some free online dating sites, You could just be joining basic membership for free but in the end, You will not spend money on pushing thru with the rest of the services offered. just in case you prefer not to spend, You may opt to join the real free [url=https://www.bitchute.com/channel/charmdate/]charmdate review[/url] online dating services. It is better to be honest on your feelings so [url=https://www.slideshare.net/StevenHawk2/is-charmdatecom-a-scam-to-tell-you-the-truth-by-my-own-experience]charmdate.com[/url] that your time searching for someone via online will not be wasted Joining free dating services will not just save you time and energy in searching for that special someone but it gives you a range of potential dates. so if you are alone or you don have time to meet other people, Then it is time to meet your future partner through dating sites.