Did you know that honeysuckle had medicinal benefits? I didn’t until just recently! Don’t you remember as a child, gathering honeysuckle flowers to taste the sweet honey nectar inside each blossom? Mmmmmm….goood memories.

Before I get into all the benefits, guess what I made with my honeysuckle harvest? JELLY! I knew that all edible flowers could be made into a syrup or a jelly so why not try Honeysuckle Jelly. The recipe that I used was from Lehman’s but I did not have liquid pectin so I made do with powdered pectin and all was just fine. 🙂

honeysuckle 2

I will give you the link for the recipe in a minute but let’s discuss all the amazing benefits that Honeysuckle(Lonicera japonica) has. It is mainly used in TCM, traditional chinese medicine as a cold remedy. I have heard different versions of which flowers to collect from the unopened blossoms to only the white new blossoms, so I will collect both to cover all bases. As for the jelly, any of the yellow or white flowers are good to use.

Here is a list of what it can do:

clears toxins

kills or inhibits germs

coughs and asthma

natural antibiotic used for staph or strep

reduces fever and heat in the body

for reducing ulcers, sore throats

clears congestion

used for acute symptoms NOT chronic symptoms

reduces rashes from poison oak

cuts that have become infected

tea used as an eye wash

headaches

helps nausea and vomiting from Hepatitis C

WOW!!! Honeysuckle is GOOD STUFF!

So if you have a honeysuckle bush or two, go ahead and gather some flowers to use now, for jelly, and later for teas or tinctures.

Here is that recipe I promised!

Honeysuckle Jelly Yields 7 half-pints

4 cups honeysuckle flowers

4 cups boiling water

1/4 c. lemon juice

4 cups sugar

1 package liquid pectin

First you need to make an infusion to draw the flavor out of the flowers. It’s very simple. Prepare the flowers by removing the tiny green tip at the base of the petals.

Spring garden 007 (1024x768) Aren’t they beautiful?

Next, bring 4 cups of water to a boil in a large saucepan, turn the heat off, then add the honeysuckle flowers you’ve gathered and allow them to steep for about 45 min., stirring occasionally.

Strain the flowers from the liquid. You need two cups of the infusion for this recipe. ***I used 3 cups cause I did not read the recipe but it turned out super!***

001 (1024x768)

In the same saucepan, stir together 2 cups flower infusion, the lemon juice, and the sugar; bring to a hard boil that won’t stir down. Add the pectin and boil for 2 min; reduce heat if necessary to avoid boiling over. Ladle into hot, sterilized jars, and screw on lids. ***This was not in the recipe but I process ALL jellies in the water bath canner for 10 minutes*****

Allow to cool for 24 hours, then test the lids to make sure the jars are properly sealed.

Here is one of my jars. 🙂

002 (1024x768)

Have you ever made honeysuckle jelly or syrup? Let me know what ya think!!!
This post shared on Wildcrafting Wednesday
Wildcrafting Wednesday
Wildcrafting Wednesday Featured Blogger Award

Enjoy your Memorial Day today,

Anne-Marie

You May Also Like

22 comments

Oh my gosh. This was just divine. Thank you!!

You are welcome Kerri! It is so amazing all the cool things you can do with plants! 🙂

I may need to go find some honeysuckle bushes now!

Oh yeah! 🙂

I have been giving herbal walks and informing people about the medicinal properties of honeysuckle. It seems to have fallen out of favour with modern herbalists as I wasn’t taught to use it – I am buzzing about your post as now I can tell people that the flowers are edible, you can drink the nectar and it can be made into a jelly. I can’t wait to try it. Many thanks.

You are so welcome! Keep up the good work, spreading herbalism. 🙂

Who knew??? Such awesomeness from itsy bitsy flowers!! Thanks girl! Shared over at Simply Living.

Thanks Kat!!!

Hi, I love the idea of Honeysuckle Jelly and have seen it before at a farmers market. I also think your blog is great and you have some really interesting things on it but I want to point out that parts of the Honeysuckle plant and some verities of Honeysuckle flowers are toxic. If you are thinking about making Honeysuckle jelly please know there are over 180 species of Honeysuckle so PLEASE check the one you are considering before you use it. You can find a list of the Honeysuckle plants and it parts that are edible at the following site. http://www.eattheweeds.com/honeysuckle-heaven-2/
Thanks for all the great ideas!

Thanks Suzan for sharing more info on honeysuckle. I did post the honeysuckle variety that is most common and edible, the Lonicera japonica, so hopefully no one finds a weird, toxic variety. Dean does mention that the varieties here in the US are good for the most part and I advise no one eat the fruits, just the flowers we all know and loved as kids. 🙂

Does it help reduce asthma

I have not had experience with it for asthma but since it is an antispasmodic, lung herb, anti-inflammatory it may help!

Working Auto Liker, Auto Liker, ZFN Liker, autolike, Autoliker, Photo Liker, auto liker, Status Liker, auto like, Autolike, Photo Auto Liker, autoliker, Autolike International, Autoliker, Auto Like, Status Auto Liker, Increase Likes

Like!! Great article post.Really thank you! Really Cool.

I see you don’t monetize bellavistanaturals.com, don’t waste your traffic, you can earn additional cash every month with new monetization method.
This is the best adsense alternative for any type of website (they approve all websites), for more info
simply search in gooogle: murgrabia’s tools

Hello. I have checked your bellavistanaturals.com and i see you’ve got some duplicate content so probably it is the reason that you don’t rank high in google.
But you can fix this issue fast. There is a tool that rewrites articles
like human, just search in google: miftolo’s
tools