Bananas are one of the worlds most perfect food!
Sometimes we get a little carried away and buy too many. So we gotta get creative and use up those bananas instead of giving them to all the chickens…or the horses ….or the dog, well one of the dogs.😀
I love bananas and I K-N-O-W they come from really, really far away! This is not part of my “try to get all the food as close to home as possible” plan. When I think of that plan and think of bananas, a book, Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver, comes to mind and I can almost hear the author saying ” THAT banana traveled thousands of miles from a rain forest to you” (something like that!).
Anyway that book is an excellent read! I think I need to read it again.
So instead of throwing out all those almost past their prime bananas here are a few ideas, actually 20 of them!
20 Ways to Use Up Bananas
1. Smoothie Time – 1 banana, 1/4-1/2 cup yogurt, 1/2-1 cup almond, coconut or cows milk, a couple ice cubes, flax or chia seeds. Blend it all up! Optional a spoonful of raw cacao – yum.
2.Make banana nut bread, the ole stand by.
3. Make a banana face mask or just spread the banana on your face or what is left inside the peel. It is beneficial to all skin types, full of vitamins, potassium, moisture.
4. Another recipe for a face mask at Bellatory
5. Use what’s left in the peel to rub on your feet and put socks on then rinse off for smoother and softer heels.. 6. Make Banana Nutella Muffins – oh..my..goodness these are so very good!
7. Put the peels into your compost pile to speed the break down.
8. Give the really squishy ones to your chickens.
9. Cut them up in chunks, melt semi sweet or dark chocolate in a pot with a teaspoon of coconut oil and using toothpicks or skewers, dip the banana pieces into the chocolate and set onto wax paper lined tray in freezer to harden. Then put into freezer bags.
10. Make Mini Banana Split Cheesecakes
11. Cut up your peels and put them under the soil near your plants to make aphids leave the premises.
12. You can polish your silver with overripe banana – weird I know! And who has silver!
13. Bananas help you sleep better due to the magnesium and potassium.
14. Make a no flour dairy free breakfast cookie – delish! Banana Chocolate Chip Breakfast Cookie.
15. MY PERSONAL FAVE – I do this all the time! Banana “Fake Out” Ice Cream by Rachel Ray. Just cut your bananas into chunks and freeze in zip lock bags and then they will be ready for this easy, peasy “fake” ice cream that is just like soft serve ice cream. I add nutella or raw cacao, sometimes honey or stevia or chopped chocolate chips.
16. Adding a ripe banana peel to a roast pan helps to tenderize a roast. Have not tried this one yet.
17. Dry out banana peels on screens during the winter months. In early spring, grind them up in a food processor or blender and use it as a mulch to give new plants and seedlings a healthy start. From Readers Digest.*
18. Attract pollinators to your garden by poking holes into the overripe bananas and setting in your garden somewhere off the ground. Watch the butterflies and bees come.🙂
19. Whiten teeth by rubbing a banana peel on your teeth, hmmmm…
20. Make a hair mask! Blend a very ripe banana or two in the blender, add a bit of water if needed and a tiny bit of olive or coconut oil. Apply to your hair, leave on for 15 minutes, might as well do your face too. Wash out with shampoo as normal.
Well that about does it! Hope you enjoyed this post and I am soooooo sorry I have not posted in over a month – yikes! Please leave a comment of what you do with your extra bananas!